Leeds rentals, sharing essential Q&A tips!

1. Rules that international students must know before renting an apartment in the UK

It is highly recommended that you go and see the property in person, or if you are not there, ask a friend to help you see the property and take photos. If you are looking for a room from an agent, they will usually ask you to pay a holding fee in advance, so that no one else can rent it. This fee is normal, if you pay the holding fee and then suddenly do not rent, the money is not refunded, if it is the agent’s problem can not be rented to you, the money will be refunded to you.

Step 3: Prepare the contract. A regular agent or landlord will mark on the contract one by one what money needs to be paid, what each item of money is and how much it costs, such as agency fees, Leeds student accommodation fees, security deposits, etc.

Step 4: Sign the contract Remember that the contract will come into effect after you have paid, so before you sign the contract, make sure you read the contract carefully to ensure that there are no bullying clauses or arbitrary charges in the contract.

Step 5: Get the keys and then you can move in happily!

2. Study in the UK, how to solve rental problems

When you encounter problems, don’t choose to remain silent, but choose to defend your rights through legal channels.

There are several ways to choose from:

I. Find the landlord to complain

1. A landlord who has a complaint handling channel: for example, a regular housing agent will have a department to deal with complaints.

2. For landlords who do not have a complaint handling channel: you will need to make a written complaint, write down the relevant complaint, and then ask the landlord to investigate and make enquiries, and the landlord will give you a written result and a way of dealing with it. If you are not satisfied with the outcome or if the landlord does not respond to your complaint, you can go to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or go to court. Please note: For England, you can apply for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR); for Scotland, please refer to Shelter Scotland.

Complaints to local authorities

Each region of the UK has a dedicated landlord-tenant resolution officer, known as a Tenancy Relations Officer (TRO), whose main job is to coordinate with tenants when landlords break the law. A tenant can contact the TRO if the landlord has broken any of the following:

1. making you move out without giving you prior notice, e.g. changing the locks, threatening you to move out, evicting you, etc.

2. Violating your rights, including: race, gender, sexual assault, harassment and threats to hit and swear.

3. Refusal to repair broken appliances, furniture or houses in your home.

4. Not giving you a contract or Rent student accommodation in Leeds is a valid legal certificate used for private rent, in the absence of a contract, Rent Book can have the legal effect of recording the monthly rent paid. For Rent Books, students can buy them from stationery shops such as WH Smith and Ryman, and you can use them to keep track of each rent payment. Generally speaking, when the TRO receives your complaint, they will contact your landlord and explain the law (many private landlords do not know what the law says). The contact details of the TRO can be found on the district’s website or by contacting the district directly and they will provide you with the contact details and you can also enter your home postcode for enquiries.

Complaints to the district council’s environmental health department in the UK

Each borough council has a dedicated person responsible for managing environmental health, known as an Environmental Health Officer (EHO), who can help you if the environment of your home is under threat. For example: 1) Dangerous electrical wiring, gas tanks or appliances in your home. 2) Dangerous structures in your home that have not been repaired for years. 3) Damp leaks in your home or leaking roofs. 4) Noisy appliances in your home. After receiving a complaint, the EHO will visit your home to verify the situation and if it is true, they will communicate with the landlord to resolve the problem.

The EHO’s contact details can be obtained through the district office or by using Shelter and entering your home postcode. Students must ensure that the contract is formal before renting an apartment. This is the first and most important step, and if you are unable to identify a reliable direct rent, you can choose a formal housing agent!

Notes on renting an apartment in the UK

Once you have paid a deposit for a flat you are prepared to rent, the landlord can no longer rent it to anyone else. However, if you change your mind, the landlord may not refund the deposit on the grounds that it is delaying him from renting the property to someone else. Therefore it is important to be considerate before paying a deposit to avoid unnecessary losses.

A damage deposit, sometimes called a security deposit, is usually paid to the landlord at the time of signing the lease agreement.”